Spinning lady bug

Posted on May 1, 2008

lady-bug.jpg

image2101.jpg

The lady bug project

This project is a part of Prayas’s CitySpinning project. I had a short brief on his CitySpinning project and his idea of leaving sound tags in public spaces. I had the basic sound recording circuit where I had to make the outer casing. I started my research on nature and looking at some plant structures and then insects, during this process I thought I should find some thing small, attractive and welcoming, so I looked at the lady bug because it had the features I was looking for. I made a quick sketch and showed it to Prayas and he liked the idea, so I started work. The first thing I started researching on the materials that I could use and during the process I decided to use the coconut shell because it is an eco friendly material and it had a hollow and curved shape like the lady bug where I could place the circuit inside. When this product in the future is going to be mass produced and it would be easy finding the this material and replicating the design. The other reasons for choosing the coconut shell was, it is water proof and its not very expensive. The base covering was made using beetle tree leaf which is light weight and hard enough to hold the circuit.

process: I first cut a big coconut into two halves and then cut another small coconut into two for the head. I joint the two halves with m-seal and had the basic skeleton of the bug ready then i connected four nuts with m-seal to the big shell which will be connecting the base and the main skeleton. I then connected two small and thin bamboo cane for the bugs antennas. The circuit was fit to the base and a small speaker in the head shell. The main shell had five holes drilled exactly where the black spots of the bug were two in the base were for the input and output audio jack, the one on the right center had the click switch, right top had the main power switch and the left front had a screw which was holding the battery inside. when every thing was working perfectly I disconnected everything and sanded the shell and applied a coat of white primer. When it was dry I applied a coat of reddish orange enamel paint and then the head and spots of the bug were painted in black. The legs were connected to the four main screws. Two strips of sun board with foam tape on it was connected to the base with the four main screws.

Future plans: I would be experimenting with other material that will allow me to mass produce the same design (clay, plaster of paris, beetle leaf mold etc…)

Leave a Reply