LAND DREAMS, cataloguing our cultural aspirations and use-values related to LAND
Living in a country and region with active land-struggles and a history of land-rights movements^ and attempts of land-reform, if land is made available to us for some time, what can we imagine?
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
LAND is available for temporary projects, workshops, conferences, performances, make-shift offices in Bangalore for five days a month. This LAND is available only until August 2009. As an artist, group, community, network or individual if there is a need for flexible temporary space in the city, send your proposal to LAND DREAMS. Your proposal should:
- Introduce yourself or your group.
- Send a note on how some existing space in Bangalore can be re-used, re-purposed for social and cultural purposes.
- Explain (in max 300 words) the temporary land-use you have in mind. If possible, sketch something on the photographs below.
- Please keep these constraints in mind.
- No permanent changes or structures are possible.
- The space has to be kept clean.
- There is no power at the site, everything has to be battery-powered if at all.
- Collaboration with architects known to us to temporarily shape the space is possible. So, say so if you want to explore this.
- Night-time projects can’t be noisy.
- Non-commercial projects of any kind can be proposed.
- Imaginations often need physical space to play out and virtual spaces are just not enough. Spaces used now to meet and talk are expensive coffee shops or restaurants. OUTDOOR SPACES STILL EXIST.
- Using land which is not fully built-up yet is a treat. You will get as much flexibility as you want. Think of what the buildings you sit in and use DON’T allow you to use.
- This call comes as a part of the LAND DREAMS project. “Unemployed plots of land dream of things that they can do, how they can look, forms they can take. When they are actively traded and utilized in the market and society, only a narrow range of functions get performed on them. They, on the other hand remain unfilled.” Read more at here.
- LAND DREAMS wants to demonstrate alternative and non-commercial uses for surplus and fringe urban spaces in the city. These demonstrations will become urban memories which will be drawn on for a long time to inspire a diverse set of cultural, social and personal uses of the city.
The LAND belongs is the University Women’s Association of Bangalore (UWAB)’s property in New Thippasandra where they are building a hostel for working women. the construction process is temporarily halted due to paucity of funds. The UWAB has offered CitySpinning use of the property till such time that construction commences. UWAB believes in encouraging young talent and hopes to see youth putting there hostel space to good use.
For using the LAND in July or August please send in your proposals by June 15th July 1st, 2009. Proposals can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proposals which meet the criteria will be accepted. — By July 12th 2009.
- The teams/individuals behind the selected proposals will be invited to the LAND for a visit, orientation and discussion. — July 14th and 15th, 2009.
- After this the project will be given confirmed dates on which they can use the LAND for their project. — July 16th, 2009.
note: all the dates have been changed after the deadline extension — June 15th, 2009
- Your band doesn’t have a space to practice? The LAND, in the afternoon might be the right place.
- Likewise, this could the ideal space for theatre and film rehearsals, practice and enactment.
- Want to set up some writers studios for the literati of Bangalore? Our architect friends could help you make cheap temporary studio-spaces.
- Want to organize puppet-shows, screen movies, do a neighbourhood meeting about dealing with trash and waste? It can all happen here.
- CitySpinning is using the space for a community-in-the-making, The YourTime Club.
- For interpretive land-use projects around the world see the list of links here: http://is.gd/A4my.
The University Women’s Association, Bangalore (UWAB) property in New Thippasandra. The UWAB’s land is a site for a working women’s hostel. Link to the google map: http://is.gd/rl5p. Some photographs are here:
The proposals will be selected by CitySpinning and University Women’s Association (UWA) together.
- – -